Friday, January 17, 2014

Comics are the testing ground

It's a new year, so I'm trying new things. One of the goals I have as an illustrator is to learn better coloring techniques. Since I've been doing Milk for Dead Hamsters, my coloring has been relatively unchanged. I take the paint bucket in Photoshop, fill areas with color and then add some shadows:

When I started illustrating books in 2012, I picked up some techniques to make for different results. But essentially, this was just a practice of applying some textures over the colored areas. This produced a water-color-like effect. But realistically, it was all the same.For example, the background here is dabbed with some water color PS brushes:

seafood diet
But I want to take some control over the matter. I want to learn how to digitally paint. I have been using a lot of the tutorials on Ctrl+Paint to help me. So far, I love the development. I am going to periodically use m4dh as my testing ground for my progression before I employ these techniques in books or freelance jobs. While digital painting takes more time, the end result is a warmer, more welcoming image. Here's my first go at it:


No comments:

Post a Comment